An Editing Checklist for Self-Publishers
Review #1 – Check for spelling errors
- Are all formal names correct and typed correctly?
- Have you checked for misused words (e.g. there, their, and they’re)?
- Have you read every word to make sure the spell checker did not miss a correctly spelled word that is not correct for the context (e.g. "ask" with the “k” left off is "as")?
Review #2 – Check for grammar errors
- Have you checked for misused commas?
- Have you checked semicolon and colon usage?
- Is your punctuation inside the quotation marks?
- Are single and double quotation marks being used correctly?
Review #3 – Check for consistency
- Is your timeline accurate and consistent?
- Have you used the same name and character details for each of your characters throughout the story?
- Are character details consistent within each scene (e.g. hazel eyes didn’t change to brown, black hair didn’t change to blonde)?
Review #4 – Check for clarity
- Is there any part of the story your readers might find confusing?
- Are there holes in the plot?
- Are there pronouns that need to be replaced with formal names?
Review #5 – Check for overall readability
- How easy is the story to read and understand?
- Is the writing geared to the reading level of your audience?